Cisco Continuing Education
The Cisco Continuing Education Program offers all certification holders flexible options to recertify by completing a variety of eligible Continuing Education items. Keep reading to learn more about Continuing Education options and to discover how you can maintain your certifications by doing the things that certified professionals already love to do.
Continuing Education Principles
The Continuing Education program is intended to encourage candidates to maintain, grow, and diversify skillsets by offering flexible, configurable pathways to validate skills and recertify existing certifications. This will result in IT professionals bringing value to their organization and the industry by maintaining their status as a Cisco professional.
To recertify via Continuing Education, complete the following steps before your current certification becomes inactive:
- Enrolling the program by logging into the Continuing Education portal form the Certification Tracking System
- Agree to the Continuing Education Terms and Conditions as part of the enrollment process
- Complete your chosen recertification pathway which may include earning a specific number of CE credit form the preapproved Continuing Education offering
- Submit your completed item(s) for credit via the Continuing Education portal within 90 days of completing the item
- Track your progress in Certification Tracking System
- Recertification will be grated when the criteria is met/approved
- Candidates must have an active certification (from the day the certification is earned through the day the certification expires/recertified) to earn credit
Active certification holders can select from a list of pre-approved Continuing Education activities to apply towards recertification. Each qualifying Continuing Education option has an assigned credit value. Complete any combination of items to achieve the number of Continuing Education credits required for your certification.
There are three types of Continuing Education item categories:
Eligible courses are currently produced by Cisco or by Learning at Cisco Learning Partners.
- Instructor Led Trainings by Learning Partners and Cisco
- Printed course kits
- Digital Learning courses
To view the approved catalog of the Continuing Education offerings, logon to the Continuing Education Program portal. For a sample of pre-approved available courses, view the Cisco Continuing Education Program Catalog. Candidates can pursue any offerings listed in the catalog and earn credits for successful completion of those items. Credits will not be granted for items not included in the catalog. We encourage candidates periodically to review the catalog for updates.
Course credit value will vary based upon duration, technical complexity, and depth of content.
Exam Item Writing Participation
A candidate can earn CE credit by participating as an Item Author for development of Professional certification exams.
This includes all Associate, Professional, and Expert level tracks. Credits will be granted for each item that is accepted according to the schedule below.
Those interested in applying to become item writers can learn more here.
Continuing Education Process
To recertify via Continuing Education, complete the following steps before the current certification becomes inactive:
- Automatically enroll in the program by logging in to the Continuing Education portal. Candidates must have an active certification to participate in the program.
- Agree to the Continuing Education program terms and conditions.
- Complete the required number of Continuing Education activities available in the preapproved catalog of items.
- Submit your completed item(s) for credit via the Continuing Education portal within 90 days of completion and before the current certification expires.
- Track your progress in the Certification Tracking System.
- Recertification will be granted when the criteria is met.
The Continuing Education Program is also available for candidates with Emeritus status as described on the CCIE Emeritus website except for the following:
- Candidates in Emeritus status who are required to pass both a written exam and a lab to become active again
- Candidates who achieved Emeritus status by earning Business Transformation certifications as described on the CCIE website
Continuing Education Program Policy and Rules
- Certified individuals can use any eligible combination of exams and/or Continuing Education items to recertify.
- Claims must be submitted for Continuing Education credit within 90 days of completing an eligible item, and while the certification is active. Claims submitted outside the 90-day window will not be eligible for Continuing Education credit.
- All Items must be completed and submitted for Continuing Education credit before the certification expires.
- Credits will be valid for 3 years from the date the item was completed and MUST be used towards recertification before they expire.
- Credits will expire if all certifications become inactive before completing the recertification requirements.
- Once recertification criteria are met, recertification(s) will be automatically processed.
- Recertification triggered through Continuing Education participation will be effective from the date the last Continuing Education item was completed.
- Credits will roll over or expire if a new recertification cycle starts:
- Unapplied Continuing Education credits totaling 5 or more will roll over into the next recertification cycle and remain active until the item expiration date or the certification expires, whichever comes first.
- Unapplied Continuing Education credits totaling 4 or less will expire upon recertification or when the certification expires.
- There is no cap on the number of Continuing Education credits that can be earned from any item category.
- Credit will only be granted once for completing a course in the certification cycle. No credit will be granted for completing a course an additional time.
- Credits will be granted for Alpha trainings. Continuing Education credit will not be awarded to submissions for the live version of the same course.
- Except for certified CCIE’s, only Continuing Education items completed after Feb 24, 2020 are eligible for Continuing Education credit.
- There is no fee to participate in the program.
Continuing Education credits will be earned only when the relevant content provider has validated your claim submission. Submit your finalized items(s) (e.g., course completion, Cisco Live attendance, etc.) for credit via the Continuing Education portal within 90 days of conclusion (e.g., within 90 days of finishing a course). Items must be submitted before the certification expiration date. All required information must be included to successfully submit a claim. While most Continuing Education credits are validated within seven days of submission, it can take up to thirty days for a credit to be validated.